Domestic Partnership Registry

About the Registry

Through our Domestic Partnership Registry, the City of Missoula wishes to recognize the mutual support, caring and commitment unmarried couples have in their relationships and further wishes to support the right and dignity of unmarried couples to have their relationships recognized.

Resolution Establishing the City of Missoula’s registry (PDF)

Registry application and affidavits and the names of domestic partners and other information included on the City of Missoula Domestic Partnership Registry may be considered public records and may be released to a third party, if requested.

Who Can Register

Our registry is open to same sex and opposite sex partners. Applicants must declare that they meet ALL of the following requirements:

  • At least one of the partners in the domestic partnership has a physical address in, and resides within the State of Montana; and
  • Are not related by blood to a degree of closeness that would prohibit legal marriage; and
  • Are both at least 18 years of age; and
  • Reside together and intend to do so permanently; and
  • Are not legally married under Montana state law; and
  • Are responsible for each others common welfare; and
  • Are each others sole domestic partner; and
  • Were mentally competent to consent to contract when the domestic partnership began.
    In addition, applicants must declare that they have:
  • A marriage, domestic partnership or civil union license from another state
  • OR
  • At least TWO of the joint living expenses or decisions in the following list must apply to the applicants:
    • Common ownership of real property or a common leasehold interest in such property; or
    • Power of attorney for health care decisions; or
    • Joint bank account or a joint credit account; or
    • Common ownership of a motor vehicle; or
    • Designation as a beneficiary for life insurance or retirement benefits or under the partner’s will; or
    • Shared parenting or shared legal guardianship of a child; or
    • Possess other such proof to establish financial interdependency under the circumstances of their particular case as considered to be sufficient

How to Register

To apply, please fill out our form (PDF), print it, and sign it in the presence of a Notary Public. Mail or drop off your original, completed application to the City Clerk at the address listed below. Please send the form with the original signatures and notary seal. We cannot accept photocopies, faxes or e-mailed forms.
Missoula City Clerk
435 Ryman
Missoula, MT 59802
If you would like to receive a Certificate of Registration, please enclose a self addressed, stamped envelope with your application form.
Application and Affidavit Form (PDF)