- Parks & Recreation
- Parks and Trails
- Visiting Parks & Trails
- Park Rules & Alcohol in Parks
Park Rules & Alcohol in Parks
Park Use Policies
Please see Missoula Municipal Code 12.40 (PDF) for a complete list of park regulations. Master Fee Schedule: Parks Policies and Fees
Missoula's parks are open to the public from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily, unless otherwise posted. Lighted riverfront trails are open from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m. daily. We hope that you have an enjoyable gathering. If you have any questions, please call us at 406-721-PARK.
Per Missoula Municipal Code 12.40 (PDF) and Parks and Recreation Rules, the following are not allowed in parks:
- Amplified music (except as noted below.)
- Animals, except dogs on leashes.
- Bounce houses or inflatable play structures without a Parks permit, required insurance, and rental from a permitted vendor.
- Charging for entry to parks.
- Charging or selling anything in parks without permission from the Parks and Recreation Director.
- Digging or driving stakes/pegs in the ground.
- Firearms (PDF) (details below.)
- Fireworks (PDF)
- Motorized vehicles except in designated areas or with a Parks vehicle permit.
- Open fires.
- Overnight parking or camping.
Dogs In Parks
Dogs must be leashed in City Parks and on trails, unless otherwise posted. Dog owners are responsible for removing dog waste from city parks. Learn more.
- See MMC #12.40.040 Exhibit B for a list of parks where alcohol is permitted.
- Possession and consumption of beer, wine and hard cider are allowed for individuals or small groups of six or less without a permit, or for groups of seven or more with a permit, in parks listed in Exhibit B where a restroom or portable toilet is provided and is available.
- You may purchase an alcohol permit online for Bonner Park, McCormick Park, Playfair Park, & Fort Missoula Regional Park.
- Glass containers are prohibited.
Amplified sound is prohibited in parks with the exceptions below and further defined in MMC 12.40.065 #29 Exhibit C. Call 552-6256 to purchase an amplified sound permit.
Exception 1 - No permit required:
- Small impromptu gatherings of 6 or fewer park users amplifying sound. Applies to the areas listed in Exhibit C as Type 2 community parks and Type 3 neighborhood parks.
- Must be a minimum of 100 feet away from any residential housing.
- Time duration must not exceed 1 hour.
- Plainly audible sound needs to dissipate at a distance greater than 25' from its origin.
- Sound origination must be located no closer than 25' from the edge of the curb or sidewalk.
- Amplification is not permitted during school hours if the park is adjacent to a school.
- Amplified sound is permitted during these hours only:
- Memorial Day to Labor Day: Sun-Thurs 11 am - 7 pm; 11 am - 8 pm Fri-Sat
- All other months: Mon-Sun 11 am - 6 pm
Exception 2 - Permit Required
- A fee-based amplified sound permit is required for large events of 7 or more park users as set forth in Exhibit C designated as Type 1 community parks and Type 4 neighborhood parks including Bonner Band Shell, Fort Missoula, McCormick and Silver Park.
Firearms Prohibited in Parks
Per Missoula Municipal Code 8.58 (PDF), firearms are prohibited in the following parks and trails. To report violations, please call the Missoula Police Department at 911. Parks and Recreation is not an enforcement agency.
|Firearms prohibited in these parks||Address|
|44 Ranch||2503 Riata Road|
|Anderson||220 Blaine Street|
|Bancroft Ponds/Children's Fish Pond||34th and Bancroft|
|Bellevue||3925 Paxson Street|
|Ben Hughes||183 S Easy Street|
|Bess Reed||225 S Pattee Street|
|BN Plaza/Circle Square||100 E Railroad Street|
|Boyd||3131 Washburn Avenue|
|Cattail Corner||1200 SW Higgins|
|Clark Fork Natural||200 Chestnut Street|
|Downtown Lions||520 N California Street|
|Elms||3101 Elm Park Drive|
|Fort Missoula West||3301 South Av West|
|Fort Missoula East||3025 South Av West|
|Franklin||2100 10th Street|
|Garland||4810 23rd Avenue|
|Greenough||1001 Monroe Street|
|Gregory||707 Van Buren Street|
|Honeysuckle||4331 Barbara Lane|
|Jacobs Island||6 S Van Buren Street|
|Jeffrey||6905 Alisha Drive|
|Kiwanis||350 Kiwanis Street|
|Lester||200 Sentinel Street|
|Lincolnwood North||4505 Fox Farm Road|
|Little McCormick||711 Toole Avenue|
|Maloney Ranch||5200 Big Fork Road|
|Marilyn||6000 Linda Vista Boulevard|
|McCormick||600 Cregg Lane|
|McLeod||1651 North Avenue W|
|Memorial Rose Garden||800 Brooks Street|
|Montana Rail Link||2300 Johnson Street|
|Nicole||Linda Vista Boulevard and Nicole Court|
|Northside||800 N. 6th|
|Penland||150 Penland Way|
|Pheasant Run||2425 Garland Drive|
|Pleasant View||4101 Lexington Avenue|
|Rainbow||6530 Linda Vista Boulevard|
|Sacajawea||810 S Orange Street|
|Silver||900 Cregg Lane|
|Skyview||5550 Skyview Drive|
|South Hills to Meadow Hill Safe Route To School||Map|
|Southside Lions||2100 Bow|
|Syringa||1465 Lower Lincoln Hills Drive|
|Toole||202 S 4th Street E|
|Wapikia||134 Tahoe Drive|
|Whitaker||511 Whitaker Drive|
|White Pine||1551 Scott Street|
|Commuter trails (PDF) as described in Missoula Municipal Code 8.58 (PDF)|
Sign up to win!
Sign up to get occasional updates on Parks programs, projects and special events...new subscribers are entered into a monthly drawing for fun prizes!