Orders of Protection
Individuals wanting to file a Petition for a Temporary Order of Protection are encouraged to contact the Crime Victim Advocates office: (406) 258-3830 or by email: email@example.com if possible. The advocates will meet persons who do not have access to phone or email in the waiting room area if necessary. Persons needing paperwork to file for Temporary Orders of Protection are encouraged to access documents through CVA’s website: https://www.missoulacounty.us/government/civil-criminal-justice/crime-victim-advocate-program
- Please submit all necessary documents to the court for Judge’s review.
- If granted, the Court will issue a Temporary Order of Protection that will need to be served upon the Respondent by a Sheriff’s Deputy or other Process Server.
- A court date will scheduled within 20 days. Hearings are held Thursdays at 1:30 p.m.
- Both the Petitioner and the Respondent have the right to testify at the hearing, where the judge will determine if the Order of Protection will be continued on a permanent basis.
- Both the Petitioner and the Respondent have the right to hire an attorney; however, it is not required.
- There is no fee to file for a Temporary Order of Protection or permanent Order of Protection in Missoula Municipal Court.
- Please review the Checklist below to familiarize yourself with documents used in petitioning for and filing for an Order of Protection.
Order of Protection Documents
- Petition for Temporary Order of Protection (PDF)
- Law Enforcement Service Information (PDF)
- Law Enforcement Service Information (back) (PDF)
- Confidential Address and Phone Number Request Form (PDF)
- Motion to Continue Order of Protection Hearing (PDF)
- Our of Area Request for Service
- Petitioner's Motion to Dismiss Order of Protection
- Petitioner or Respondent Generic Motion and Order