Will I need a change-of-use?

A change-of-use permit is a commercial building permit that changes the use of an existing building or tenant space from one approved use/occupancy classification to another as described in the International Building Code. It compares the code requirements of the existing use to the requirements of the proposed use and demonstrates how the building or tenant space meets the code requirements for the new use – any code deficiencies will need to be corrected prior to occupying the space/changing the use.

A change-of-use is required for all commercial cultivation and extraction facilities even if the last approved use of the space was the same. This is because the operations and intensity of each individual facility or business owner vary and there may be an increase or decrease in canopy size or the Max Allowable Quantity (M.A.Q.) of solvents or combustible fibers (drying/processing) in each control area etc. 

When will the Building Department NOT require a change-of-use to obtain a 420 license?
Please be aware, a change-of-use permit is required in almost all situations except for dispensaries moving into a space most recently permitted as a retail location (Mercantile Occupancy – M.) 

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit or license?
2. How do I apply for a permit/license?
3. How does the review process work?
4. How long does it take to get a 420 license/ commercial building permit issued?
5. Will I need a change-of-use?
6. Will I need an Architect/Engineer?
7. Will I need mechanical, electrical or plumbing permits?
8. Can I install mechanical equipment, duct work, or exhaust fans myself?
9. I have un-permitted work I need to resolve in order to get my license, now what?
10. How do I open a dispensary?
11. What is the process for opening a cultivation business in the City of Missoula?
12. Can I grow Cannabis plants in my home?
13. What is the process for opening an extraction business in the City of Missoula?
14. How do I add a use to my existing business license or 420 license?
15. How do I increase the canopy area of my existing business license?
16. How is my canopy area calculated?
17. When is my business able to switch from medical to recreational?
18. Are there odor or energy use restrictions?
19. How do I submit a complaint related to Cannabis?