Sign Program

Development Services receives and processes sign permit applications. Through the review and permitting process Development Services staff ensure that signs meet our Municipal Code requirements and all applicable adopted national life, health and safety codes and standards.

Signs in the City of Missoula require sign permits. All signs and their supporting structures must be placed on private property and outside of the public right-of-way. Each property owner is responsible for proper permitting, installation, and maintenance of all signs on their property.

This page is intended to provide general information. For additional help relating to signs and sign permitting, please contact us at 406-552-6625 or send us an email.

For more information on signs in the City of Missoula, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page. For information on political signs in the City of Missoula, please read our Political Campaign Sign Regulations (PDF).

Development Services investigates compliance issues on a complaint basis only. If there is a sign violation that you would like to report, please fill out our form. Complaints are investigated in the order that they are received.

To submit for a sign permit, please fill in the Sign Permit Application (PDF) and send it, with all additional materials, to the Sign Program. You can email your application, or send it by mail to:
Development Services
435 Ryman Street
Missoula, MT 59802

NOTE: In order to receive up to date information on sign code or processes - please sign up to receive notifications from the City of Missoula.