Street Sweeping Program
Begins April 4, weather permitting
The Street Operations & Maintenance Division’s street sweeping program is scheduled to run from April through September this year. Residential streets within the city are swept two times per year, and commercial and downtown streets are swept once a week.
See the map and schedule to the right. Please note that dates are subject to change due to weather conditions and other factors.
What Should Residents Do?
- Please park on the odd-numbered side of the street on odd-numbered days and on the even-numbered side on even-numbered days.
- Trees must be pruned to a minimum of 14 feet over the street to the inside edge of the curb line (per Missoula Municipal Code 12.32). If your trees do not meet this requirement, the City may trim them so that our equipment can safely work under them.
- The City will have been by to collect leaves before the scheduled sweeping days. Visit the Leaf Collection page to see the leaf collection map and schedule as well as additional information.
Winter Sweeping Program
City crews will also perform winter street cleaning when temperatures rise above 32 degrees. The process divides the city’s streets into four priority categories: Priority 1 (see snow removal map) streets will be cleaned first after temperatures reach 32 degrees. If temperatures stay above 32 degrees, crews will continue to sweep streets in accordance with the snow removal priority list.
During the spring, we will clean all streets on the snow removal priority routes before starting on non-priority routes.
Did You Know?
The City has two different types of sweepers:
- A Broom Bear sweeper is used to pick up larger material and has a conveyor belt that collects debris in a hopper and dumps into a dump truck. This is typically used to sweep sand in the spring.
- The conventional sweeper uses a vacuum to collect smaller debris into a hopper that is emptied out of the back of the sweeper when full.